Friday, January 19, 2007

Some of you may say...Finally!

So I REALLY tried not to continue this blog, but due to EXTERNAL pressure, here I am(especially since my friends LM and Vito decided to put links to my blog to theirs). My first mistake was to mention to LM that I had to start a blog just to comment to hers. Please see their blogs which are now linked to my blog.

What was REALLY bad about this situation was that I totally forgot my logon name and password so it took actually two days to hack back into the system.

So I hope everyone was blessed this holiday season.

I watched an exciting Oprah in December where she gave the studio audience $1000 and told them they could do anything with the money but hoped they could do something good for someone else and in return be touched by it. It was an amazing show that reviewed how people took the $1000 and were able to raise $10,000-40,000 and gave it to charity or someone who was a crime victim. Every holiday season my company's nonprofit organization has a tree so you can pick up a tag and buy a gift for that person or child. This year, they decided to target five families. One of the managers at work gives everyone in his department and others who work closely with the department $50 gift certificate out of his own pocket. So I usually pick two tags so this time, but I decided that I could sponsor a whole family instead and use the gift certificate to better use especially since they all needed necessities like coats, underwear, and socks. It was a family of a mother who had left a violent situation with her four girls and was attending college to better their future. I had so much fun trying to pick out clothes, coats, pajamas, and underwear for them. Old Navy was awesome for buying clothes for five women. I was a mess at the store with David and Logan waiting on me and offering no assistance. I had to ask mothers with daughters who passed by for what sizes would be appropriate especially when deciding between girl, teens, misses (S/M/L). In the end, I REALLY hoped they liked what they got!

I wish there were more opportunities to find ways to help families in need more than during the holidays or just when you are cleaning out your closets or sending a check. I have at times tried to go volunteer but I tend to leave messages that are never returned. Any ideas out there? I do think the largest point of life is to affect or touch as many lives as possible.

Happy New Year - 2007!!!

4 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Have you tried DePelchin Children's Center? They have a pretty organized program and lots of volunteer opportunities.

http://depelchin.org/display.php/tid/102

Anna said...

I am so glad you came back to your blog. It helps us keep up-to-date.

There are lots of ways to volunteer - have you tried Houston Area Women's Center.

http://www.hawc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home_page

Lisa Marie said...

See, your fan club is out here anxiously awaiting your next post. "Blog to us, blog to us!" we shout!

Mama T said...

I keep thinking that I would like to give baking to a food bank/shelter but I'm coming up against walls here too. How frustrating! I have phoned umbrella organizations and get told that I have to go to the website and do a search, bla bla blahkity blah, and then I never find anything that meets what I can do. Grrr. Good luck though!